Monday, September 7, 2009

Maemo 5 - Linux at the core of next generation mobile OS

It's been long since I felt excited about any new mobile OS. Maemo 5 seems to be a very promising mobile OS for the next generation of mobile devices.

Multiple desktops, multitasking, Mozilla based browser, desktop widgets, cool UI, speed all seems to be best of what other OS has to offer. And guess what, it runs on Linux. The Symbian OS 9.4, Windows Mobile 6.5 or iPhone OS 3.. all seem to be moving ahead somewhat slowly. Comparing to them, Maemo 5 seems to be a leap ahead. It seems to be the next best thing after iPhone OS 1 came out thousands of years ago :).

Nokia will release N900 in a few months, the company's first phone running on Maemo 5. N900 itself has good spec with 600 MHz ARM processor, 256 MB RAM, 32 GB ROM, high-end cam, etc.

You can check more about Maemo at: http://maemo.nokia.com/ and more about N900 at http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/.

9 comments:

AtColiseum said...

Hi,

I think you have missed another important mobile OS . That is "android" from Google, the key player in tech market. It is already in google phone t-mobile G1, G2, Nexus one and recently on Sony Ericsson's Xperia X10. There are thousands of apps in android market too.

Your blog is informative. Keep it up.

Hasan.

Kaisar said...

@Hasan: Thanks for informing. Agreed, I didn't mention about Google's android. It's probably because the initial android betas looked like plain vanilla to me. But things have changed to a great extend and can't be reluctant about android anymore!

Website development companies said...

Thanks for sharing these & very well explain post. Some thing new to learn from this helpful post.

Vertical Blinds said...

Outstanding blog post, I have marked your site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future.

lyric hearing aid said...

Thank you, allow me to experience such a good article

lyric hearing aid said...

Outstanding blog post, I have marked your site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future…

Software Interview Questions said...

I believe that anyone who wants to know something about this topic will like the post.

Automation Testing Framework said...

I am happy to find your site. I am a regular visitor of your website, I will share it with my friends. Thanks.

Free Web Directories said...

Thank you for the extremely impressive article.Hope you can write more articles in the near future.I am really eager to read it.Thanks.